The first-ever Buena Park Open Day will be held Sunday, July 14 from 12-5 p.m.− rain or shine.
The goal of the festival is to show Chicagoans what Reside already knows: that Buena Park is vibrant, diverse, and architecturally significant. Attendees can expect music, art, performances, workshops and tours that showcase the buildings, homes and gardens that make the neighborhood unique.
Here’s our guide to the festivities:
- Hutchinson Street: The Chicago Architecture Foundation will lead 30-minute sidewalk tours of George Maher houses. Tours begin at 12:30, 1, 1:30, 2, 3 and 4 p.m.
- St. Mary of the Lake (42oo N. Sheridan Rd.): Tours of both the interior and exterior of this 100-year-old Italian Renaissance church are led by Father Jim. Tours begin at 2:15 and 3 p.m.
- Smart Love Home (800 W. Buena Ave.): Tours of the house known affectionately as The Mansion on Buena take place throughout the day.
- Ginkgo Organic Gardens (4055 N. Kenmore Ave.): Meet volunteers, take tours, and learn about this community garden. Tours take place throughout the day.
- Peace Garden (4200 N. Marine Dr.): Talk with a Chicago Park District Horticulturalist and learn about the native plantings from 12:30-2 p.m.
- Low End Theory Drum Ensemble will play West African beats mixed with a touch of hip-hop flavor at Peace Garden from 3-5 p.m.
- The PAWcasso Canine Art Workshop at Challenger Bark (at Buena and Kenmore avenues) goes from 12-1:30.
- Master Class showcases at Profiles Theatre (4147 Broadway Ave.) will be performed between 2-4 p.m.
- CDOT Bicycle Ambassadors will offer bike safety tips in the Smart Love parking lot from 12-3 p.m.
- Storytelling from various authors on the hour, and an art exhibition, will take place at a new neighborhood gallery space at 4101 N. Broadway Ave.
- Family-friendly activities and games will take place throughout the day at Smart Love.
Food and Special Offers
- Chitown Tamales and Melody Ice Cream Co. trucks will be parked near Smart Love at the corner of Buena and Clarendon avenues.
- Lemonade and barbecue will be available at Gingko Organic Gardens.
- The following will have special offers on refreshments:
The Reservoir (844 W. Montrose Ave.)
Bar on Buena (910 W. Buena Ave.)
Michael’s Pizzeria & Tavern (4091 N. Broadway St.)
The Dollop (4181 N. Clarendon Ave.)
Parking and Travel Tips
- Discounted parking will be available at lots at Joseph Brennemann Elementary School (4251 N. Clarendon Ave.) and Walt Disney Magnet School (4140 N. Marine Dr.).
- Those using public transportation should take the 36, 151 or 146 bus and get off at 4200 N. Buena. The nearest El stop is the Red Line’s Sheridan stop, which is four blocks from the festival entrance.
The festival’s entrance is at 4200 N. Clarendon at Buena. Admission is $5, but children under age 12 get in free.
Will you be going to Buena Park Open Day? Let us know in the comments!