Winter weather can affect your pets just as much as it affects you. As the cold Chicago winter continues, it’s important to make sure you’re looking out for your dog. We asked our Rewards Partners at Last Minute Walks (Chicago’s only 24-hour on call dog walking company) for some winter tips for dog owners.
Winter Weather Tips for Dogs
from: Last Minute Walks
1. Never let your dog off leash on snow or ice, especially during a snowstorm, dogs can lose their scent and easily become lost. More dogs are lost during the winter than during any other season, so make sure your dog always wears tags.
2. Thoroughly wipe off your dog’s legs and stomach when he comes in out of the sleet, snow or ice. He can ingest salt, antifreeze or other potentially dangerous chemicals while licking his paws, and his paw pads may also bleed from snow or encrusted ice.
3. Never shave your dog down to the skin in winter, as a longer coat will provide more warmth. When you bathe your dog in the colder months, be sure to completely dry him before taking him out for a walk. Own a short-haired breed? Consider getting him a coat or sweater with a high collar or turtleneck with coverage from the base of the tail to the belly. For many dogs, this is regulation winter wear.
4. Never leave your dog alone in a car during cold weather. A car can act as a refrigerator in the winter, holding in the cold and causing the animal to freeze to death.
5. Puppies do not tolerate the cold as well as adult dogs, and may be difficult to housebreak during the winter. If your puppy appears to be sensitive to the weather, you may opt to paper-train him inside. If your dog is sensitive to the cold due to age, illness or breed type, take him outdoors only to relieve himself.
6. Antifreeze is a lethal poison for dogs and cats. Be sure to thoroughly clean up any spills from your vehicle, and consider using products that contain propylene glycol rather than ethylene glycol. Visit the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center for more information.
Last Minute Walks (a sister company of Let’s Walk Chicago) is Chicago’s ONLY 24/7, on-call dog walking company – 365 days a year, including holidays. If you’re working late, missed a flight, or are feeling under the weather, this is the perfect solution to make sure your dog is taken care of.
RESIDE RESIDENT DISCOUNT:
• Last Minute Walks is offering Reside Residents 5% off all services.
• Looking for more regular dog walking services? Let’s Walk Chicago is also offering Reside Residents 10% off normal rates with three months service.
• Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!
To view more resident deals and discounts, visit our Reside Rewards page.